405 88 11MB
English Pages 132 Year 1968
Being some pages from an unpublished history of Monongalia County, West Virginia. The author Hu Maxwell, died before the
111 110 18MB Read more
Title page missing, data added with Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/historyofberksco00mont/page/n5/mode/2up Not
495 50 99MB Read more
Typwritten Copiod by Eltonboth Pinkorton Leighty Sparta, Illinois 1948
366 46 16MB Read more
o O +->
COVER PICTURE The
on the Front cover Middleport.
ing began in 1843 and construction completed in 1847. It
high and made of Old Courthouse today stood, which is one block stories
All that remains of the
the square on which
west of W'estside school.
official seals are also
replica of this seal
displayed in the cover
house on Cherry Street
the old court-
and used throughout
on the west wall of the center
hallway above the spiral staircase
of the County.
$2.00 Per Copy
History of Iroquois
JOHN DOWLING Social
Watseka Community High School
County Board of Supervisors ROBERT R. HOLDEN, Chairman
Table of Contents Pages Introduction
Iroquois County Board of Supervisors
Iroquois County Board
Historv of Iroquois County
Historv of Individual Townships
Douglas Fountain Creek
Stockland Picture of
Old Court House
Iroquois Countv' Historical Society Picture of Officers of Historical Society Historical Photo
Loda Love Joy
The Iroquois County Board of Supervisors presents this History of Iroquois Countij to the citizens of Iroquois County as part of our observance of the Ilhnois Sesquicentennial. Each township supervisor was responsible
for the history of his
For the most part the individual township of these articles WTitten by different individuals. ship.
histories are the result
bring about some uniformity among them. Deletions were necessary in some cases, and, where additional information was felt necessary, Beckwith's History of Iroquois County have tried to be was the primary source used to provide this material. as factual as possible and hope we have made the minimum number of errors possible in a publication of this nature. this
edit these histories
Much of the material in the general history of Iroquois County was taken from The History and Geography of Iroquois County, a booklet prepared by Mr. Ralph Moore of Watseka in 1956.
Acknowledgments indeed grateful to the Iroquois County Board of SuperpubHcation possible. It has been a rewarding and educational experience. A special thanks goes to the Sesquicentennial Committee of the Board of Supervisors which included Cecil Hamilton as Chairman and Bernard Fleming, Robert Holden, Mrs. \Mlliam Fox, Ernest This author
Others who have contributed their efforts are Mrs. Vera Jacobs, \\ho proofread the material, Miss Sue Dubble and Miss Judy Stutsman, the typists, and my wife, Reta, for her cover design and her patience and assistance in the trials and tribulations in preparing this manuscript. Persons contributing townships histories were; Mrs. John Crist, Mr. Robert Holden, Mr. C. Walsh, Mrs. Charles Healev, Mr. Harrv Swanson, Mrs. Tylla Landes, Mrs. Theodore Pierce, Mrs. Clara Cerman, Mr. T. Landes, Mrs. Mae Gelmers, Mrs. Bertha Reeves, Mrs. Rella Boyden. Mr. Ralph Moore, Mrs. John Bartell, Mr. G. M. Buchan, Mr. Henry Schleef, Mr. Bernard Fleming, Mr. Gil Johnson, Mr. William C. Merkle, Mrs. Marvin Craig, Mr. Robert C. Brouillette, Mrs. Vincent Poskin and Mr. Francis Lareau. Countv Clerk Herb Lietz prepared the material pertaining to the Board of Supervisors and Mrs. Marvin Craig contributed the article on the Historical Societv.